Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Hey Carter...WAKE UP!!

Carter had another sleepy day. He literally slept most of the day. Right through a play date with my friend's little boy, Brady. He is finally up now but we just gave him his Gripe Water so he's drunk again in his swing. I'm thinking of calling Dr. Drew for this addiction. He's only 2 months old and already needs rehab!

I am going to stop pumping. I beat myself up about stopping long enough...I am done. Feeding my baby has become a chore...and I don't want that. I feel like we will bond better if I don't have to endure something I hate just to sort-of fill the bottle I'm giving him. I brought him from 3.14 to 8.11...and I feel very good about that. My milk supply isn't where it needs to be and Carter latches when he feels like it. He got a great latch earlier but when I switched breasts, it took about 15-20 minutes to latch again. In a way, I feel like I'm giving up...but I know I took it as long as I could and I am OK with ending it on a good note...a note just short of 9 pounds!

So I am calling the OB tomorrow about drying up. 2 months was a good run but the relief of not lactating will feel so good and I will have that much more time to enjoy my precious angel. No more engorgement or leaking...ahh!!

3 comments:

Lisa said...

Candi - At least he latched on. Unfortunately, I could never get Cameron to latch on so when Shawn fed him my breast milk through the bottle then I pumped. I pumped for 4 months straight and never got to feed him because when he was feeding I was pumping. I missed out on ALOT of that and I see where you are coming from (TRUST ME). You will love having that bonding time with him... I know that I did with Cameron.

Good Luck with drying up... a couple pointers for you on that. I know it sounds weird, but you can use cabbage leaves to help you dry up. Just tear the big leaf off and place it over your breast and then I just simply put my nursing bra back on over top and sometimes I even used an ace bandage to wrap them nice and snug and trust me it helped. Just keep replacing the cabbage leaves once they wilt and it will help alot. I think in the end, I ended up using like 3 heads of cabbage (lol) Don't get me wrong - it will be uncomfortable, but when your milk is all dried up (Ahhh, it does feel so nice). Good Luck and if you need any pointers just let your bloggy friends know.

sara said...

You have done a great job mama...and are continuing to do a great job! I'm looking to you to help me get all the good advice about drying up. I think I'm heading that way myself, so I'm all ears! And grow Carter grow!

Tina said...

You have done a great job. Ditto about the cabbage leaves and ace wrap. Sometimes it can take a LOOOOOOOONG time to dry up, just be patient.

I think you both will be better off without this big stressors hanging over your head.