Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Making it feel like home...

I'm still here. Had some serious contractions yesterday, but baby Carter is just not ready to come yet. My cervix is still totally closed. I am continuing to leak fluid, but there isn't any blood involved anymore, which is great.

Today, my mom and my cousin Megan are on a mission to help Steven and I turn this place into home...or as close to home as it will get! My mom brought bedding from home, games, cards, and homemade food, while Megan is getting Steven an air mattress so he can get a better night's sleep than he does on the itty bitty couch he's been sleeping on. Megan is also putting in a request for me to be moved to a bigger room. Seriously, because of her I get treated like a celebrity here! I mean, of course I would rather be home, but I have to be thankful that people care so much here. I am just trying to focus on making it 10 more days...then we will take things from there.

I spoke with the head of Anesthesia yesterday. I have to admit, it was quite scary. We discussed the epidural and its effects...and I will be needing an arterial line to monitor my blood pressure while I am in labor. This is very very scary for me because I know they are painful. I know it is best for me and Carter, but it is still not something I want to do. I barely sit still for blood draws. The IV almost killed me...now we are putting a needle in my artery? Lord, please be with me.

Well, things are looking good...at least to me. I break down a little bit each day, but I am trying to stay strong. My OB told me to get out of my room today...so I may get in my wheelchair and dawdle around the hospital later. It is hard to find the energy to do anything in here...but I think it will help. Your continued prayer and encouragement is so so appreciated. Only 10 more days!

11 comments:

Taylor & Krisa said...

I'm so proud of you! Hang in there. I know having things from home will help you feel more comfortable while you're there. Hospitals can feel like prison sometimes!! Just think - in 10 days you'll be holding sweet Carter and all of this time will be a distant memory.

HereWeGoAJen said...

I'm glad that things are still going well. I'm sure that the home touches will make everything a lot more bearable. Keep up the good work!

Lisa said...

Ah, you have no idea how happy I am to see a post from you. I was starting to get worried for you. I knew you didn't want Carter to come quite yet and when I didn't hear from you... I was hoping and praying that everything was ok. I know all about those IV's. I remember when I was in labor with Cameron that they put an IV in my hand which freaking killed and then they poked and prodded because I needed another one since I was a diabetic. It was awful and it is like they don't care if you are crying or in horrible pain when they are trying to find a vein. Just remind yourself that it is all for Carter. He will SO be worth it. Hang in there and know that you are never far from my mind.

Beth said...

I am glad you are getting your room to be more homey. Sorry you have to deal w/ all this stress. Here's to 10 uneventful days and than the birth of your babe!!!

sara said...

Oh Candi - each time I see a post from you I smile. I so wish we could be hospital buddies - we would rock it out. I swear. You are doing so well, you are allowed to have some down moments, you've been through a lot. If I were there, I would do your A-line for you and give you so much local anesthetic lidocaine to numb stuff up and tell you jokes to make you smile sweetie. I'm so glad you;re getting some great support - you deserve it. I'm praying like mad for you sweetie and for Carter too - you are doing so good!

sara said...

Keep the updates coming - I think of you often. I know what you mean about having up and down days. I know I have been through nothing compared to you, but even I think that this has been harder on me than I ever imagined and I have had a lot more up and down moments lately. Know you are one tough mama and I am so proud of you. Don't you wish Big Bro was on and we could at least drool over Memphis from our hospital beds, LOL!

s.e. said...

I can just picture you snuggling into your close-to-home room. I am glad you are getting special treatment. And you are doing SO well. It's o.k. to be scared. All the medical stuff must be overwhelming. But keep breathing. You are doing great!

Remember you have many IF girls out here willing your cervix to stay tight and are rooting for you!

Stacemoe said...

Thanks for the update!!! Here's to the 10 day countdown!!! I am so excited for you.....You are doing such an wonderful job!!! Glad everyone is making your surroundings more comfortable...hope you are able to get a larger room... I will be praying peace for you leading up to and while you are getting your arterial line....I know it is scary, but as you said, what is best for you and this sweet baby boy...Praying God will give you peace that passes all understanding!!!!!
Hope you have a nice evening....

Heather said...

Candi,
I am so sorry to hear you are held up at the hospital. I know how bad it makes things on you because I have BTDT! Bringing things in from home will certainly make you feel more at ease about it. The hardest part on me was that we already have kids. I was an hour and half away from them.

Make sure that all of the nurses treat you with respect. Mine were fantastic but was told that if one was rude of rough handled me in anyway I and you can request that no longer care for us...

Tell Carter to hold on a little longer.

If you wouldn't mind, email me at adoptivemomma (at) hotmail (dot) com.

Anonymous said...

Good gracious Candi I knew something wasn't right when I saw you didn't log into your myspace since 10/24, I knew to jump on here and almost strated crying when I saw you were in the hospital! I am glad you and Carter are doing well. No matter if he comes today or the 7th or anywhere in between he will be just fine and as beautiful as his mommy! You hang in there! Love you! XOXO ~Tonya~

Anonymous said...

Hey Candi it's Dobi!

Man you're going through some rough times, but more power to you. I wouldn't know what to do if I were in your position. Keep you're chin up! Things will work out fine in the end! You're awesome!