Tuesday, October 7, 2008

100th Post...what I have learned...

Holy crap! I can't believe I have posted on my blog 100 times! It just seems crazy! Instead of doing a "top 100" anything...which we all know I have no patience for...I think I will recap my journey and tell you what I have learned since post #1.

What I thought:
I began this blog as an outlet when Steven and I first decided that we would give IVF a go. We were so naive to everything we were about to embark on. I thought there would be a few shots, not too many side effects, an egg retrieval, an embryo transfer, and bam! I'd be pregnant. Then I expected 9 months of easy-breezy pregnancy that would end with me holding a perfect little person wrapped in a pink blanket.

What I know now:
IVF is one of the hardest things our marriage will ever endure. It started with blood tests every day, and for someone terrified of needles...that could've been a dealbreaker!! Then came the Lupron injections with the worst side effects of any drug I've ever taken! The hot flashes alone were enough to drive me insane. Next was the Follistim. Looking and feeling 5 months pregnant when you aren't is just no fun! And that awful burn!! I felt like someone had set my left ovary on fire! Egg retrieval was a blast...if you enjoy the feeling of hot sauce in your vagina. I was thankful though. We ended up with 12 embryos and we were just ecstatic!! After 3 days, we went in for our transfer, which was supposed to be the easy part. Well, that went out the window when I peed on the doctor after clearly warning him that he had my bladder too full. Then it was the infamous "2 week wait"...which felt as though it was quite possibly the worst 5 weeks of my entire life! I think I ripped Steven's head off every day for the entire 2 weeks! Poor guy! We were so blessed to find out that we were pregnant!! But thinking that the hard part was over was not the smartest thing ever.

Pregnancy has proven to be nothing like I thought it would be...starting with the color we ended up painting our nursery! All my life, I just assumed I would have a little mini-me that would love pink dresses and pig tails. I never even gave having boys much thought. When we found out that we were having a boy, I was speechless...then I couldn't imagine not having a boy! It truly is amazing how being pregnant changes everything you thought was important. I love Carter more than life itself and I am so thankful to God for blessing Steven and I. I continue to pray for a safe arrival and a long healthy life for my little quarterback! (I'd better quit while I'm ahead...now because I said that, he'll want to be a ballerina! We will love him no matter what!)

Well, that's my 100th post! Thank you all for sticking by my side throughout all of this madness. I never expected anyone to really care about me like you do...just goes to show why bloggers really are true friends. I love you all and hope to share many hundreds more of these posts with you as Carter grows up and we add to our family!

6 comments:

Taylor & Krisa said...

So glad I met you as we went through this process. It has been a challenge but I thank God every day for the trial because I know that we'll hold our babies and our husbands tighter every day as we think back. Can't wait for Carter's arrival!

Morrisa said...

Happy 100th! I could have written this post myself...

Tara said...

Congratulations on your 100th post! And for getting where you are today.

Not in the Water said...

gee both you and Nancy have posts I like today.

I really enjoyed that....if your marriage can handle IVF than you can handle anything!

Enjoy it!

sara said...

I've loved following along with you for part of your journey and I can't wait to follow along until you have your 200th post as well. Congrats on the 100 posts and for getting to where you are already! You made me giggle when you said Carter might want to be a ballerina, LOL! I know you have enough love in your heart already for him that you wouldn't care what he wanted to do. But between you and me - I envision him more as the quarterback type :-) ((hugs))

HereWeGoAJen said...

Happy 100th! May you have many more...