Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Had a scare...

Yesterday, I woke up very crampy. I didn't think much of it because Dr. A told me that unless it is accompanied by bleeding, it is common. I figured I'd just take it easy and it would go away. Around 12pm, I was going to the bathroom and noticed blood on the toilet paper. I freaked out and called Dr. A. He told me to come in for an ultrasound. After I hung up, I lost it...sobbing. I got my bearings and called Steven at work. I told him what was going on and he left to come pick me up. My mom was worried, so she decided to come, too. We got in there and I refused to look at the screen until somebody said "there's the heartbeat." I couldn't bear seeing my baby if she wasn't alive. After a couple seconds, the tech said "There we go." As soon as she said it, I felt the world lift off my shoulders. I let out a huge sigh of relief and looked up at the screen. I couldn't help by laugh at my little peanut...the heart was fluttering away at 167bpm! Then we got to see the baby move! It was amazing. After a minute, the tech got up and dialed on the phone. She says "I need a doctor in here to look at something." My guarded mind started going 100 miles a minute. Everything that could be wrong was going on in my head. The doctor came in and they focused in on a red and blue blob on the screen. Apparently, the colors indicate blood flow. It turns out that the baby was in transition between using the yolk sac and the umbilical cord/placenta for nutrience. The tech said that it is usually one or the other and they never get to witness the transition period...so they saw something new! Everything else looked fine and there was absolutely no indication of where the cramping or spotting came from.

Today, I feel great. No cramps, no bleeding, not too much nausea. Praise God that our baby is doing well. From now on, I will not be so worried all the time. I will be cautious but relaxed. I still have my first OB appointment tomorrow and I am very excited. Dr. A wanted me on bedrest until the bleeding stopped, and it has so I think I will be fine. So, I will be sure to update tomorrow about that...now I'm going to relax!!


5 comments:

Not in the Water said...

Holy cow...you friggin scared me! Whew...glad all is ok. Tell God not to mess with you anymore ok ;)

sara said...

Phew...that pesky bleeding can be scary. You had me worried, but I'm so glad you and the little peanut are okay! Rest up mama and try to relax, although who the hell am I kidding. How the heck can we relax when we have bleeding :-) I'll be thinking of you. I love the picture, and seeing the transition use of yolk sac and umbilical cord is awesome!

HereWeGoAJen said...

Whew, I am glad everything is okay. I had bleeding too, and everything is still just fine. Weeks later, they discovered it was because my placenta is over my cervix (which is moving and not a big deal) so maybe they'll eventually find a cause for you.

Maria said...

Oh wow, I'm so glad all is well.

So cool that the doctors got to see something new.

Morrisa said...

Whew! I'm so glad everything is okay. What a little cutie!!