Sunday, November 16, 2008

Nurse Ratchet.

So...I almost killed someone today. The NICU always sends a nurse out to weigh the babies and check their temps a couple days after they leave, just to make sure that there is nothing else they should do to help mom and dad. Anyway, the nurse came today. She wasn't actually a NICU nurse. She was just a regular ole' agency nurse with no preemie experience what-so-ever. She weighed him and her scale said 4lbs. 5oz. Wrong!! He was 4lbs. 8.5oz. when he left the hospital and he's eating more now that he's at home. Not to mention we weighed him this morning and it said 5lbs. Then, she undressed him completely and was examining his entire body. I felt like a criminal. After the frisking, she tried taking his temp, which was 36.1c...because she had him undressed for 10 minutes! I'm like "hello! Preemies sometimes have a hard time regulating their temps...keep him warm! Idiot!!!" Steven quickly grabbed a warm sleeper and put it on him with a hat then swaddled him. He was on the changing table that attaches to the Pack n Play...the lady goes over and starts shaking it! What for?? We still have no clue but she's lucky I didn't knock her ass out! After that, she decided to pry his eyes open to check his pupils...unneccesary! Then she tried scaring him to see if he'd jump, shook a rattle in his ear, and teased him by putting his pacifier by his mouth, then took it away. Some of this stuff has its reasons, but all those tests were done at the hospital already.

So, I called the hospital after the nurse left and told them I was declining the 2nd appointment with this lady. The doctor was like "You are only supposed to do that once...just for weight and temp checks. Did she try to get you to make another appointment?" I told her yes and she said that the agency was not told to do any exams of any kind. I told her how rough and careless the nurse was with Carter and she asked for her name. I told her and she said that she would be sure to call and let them know that they are not to come again and that Veronica needs preemie experience because she is evidently lacking. She said not to worry about the weight and that their scale was probably a piece of crap. She assured me that all was well and that Carter is doing great. I feel better now, but I was seriously spitting nails after the nurse left!

Carter has been doing awesome! He's eating about 50mL every feeding as long as we don't wake him up to feed...he has to do it on his own!! Stubborn boy! We went to Babies R Us last night and got a bunch of preemie sleepers on clearance! He looks much more comfy in stuff that fits.

OK...somebody just woke up and wants to be held...how lucky am I?! I thank God every time I look at my precious gift. I can't even begin to tell you how truly blessed I feel.

6 comments:

HereWeGoAJen said...

Oh, I am so glad that you called and complained so that something is done about her!

Lisa said...

You are truly blessed to have that little miracle in your arms!! I AM THRILLED TO HEAR THAT YOU CALLED AND COMPLAINED ABOUT THAT SO CALLED "NURSE". I would have benn freaking out too!! I don't understand why she was so careless. It doesn't make any sense why someone would hire a person like her to be a "nurse" and take care of such delicate little children such as Carter. Oh, it was really bothering me just reading your post about her. How mean!! You go Momma...kick her @$$. Enjoy holding that sweet little bundle of joy.

Stacemoe said...

So sorry you had to deal with that...but so glad you called and complained!!!! Unbelievable!!! You are Sweet Carter's Mommy and know he is thriving and doing wonderful... Glad you were able to find some preemie clothes and on sale!!!!! He is so precious and I can't wait to see more pics. Praying he gets on a schedule soon and everyone gets some sleep.....

sara said...

Oh ick - that nurse sounds dreadful, I'm so sorry that little sweet Carter and you had to deal with the witch. Good for you for calling too. Wish I could kick her butt for you! Candi - he is just beautiful and I am so happy that you are all home together and that he is doing well. You have done such a great job for him - he has a great mom! Our two wacky uterus' gave us good kids, didn't they? Brynn does the same thing with the feeding. When she wakes up on her own for a feeding - she eats like a rock star. And when we have to wake her up - she wants nothing to do with it. But that makes sense to me I guess. Just a question - do they still have you feed every 3 hours after the volume goes up as well? I need to ask today - I was just curious because I didn't know. All this is so new to me :-) ((hugs))

Tina said...

She sounds like she is not the brightest crayon in the box LOL. i'm happy you reported her for her incompetence.

Not in the Water said...

Hey...I am NOT defending the nurse but it sounds like she was checking his reflexes (that if he didn't have could show a neuro issue...and these reflexes integrate as the baby gets older.)

Startle reflex - shaking the pack and play

Pacifier - checking for sucking reflex

Rattle - checking for an auditory response.

But she did sound like a re re b/c of the undressing thing...and needs some bed side manner.

Congrats again!