Saturday, December 6, 2008

More valuable than gold!

Thursday I got a call from the hospital's lactation consultant. She told me that I had left 3 decent sized vials of breastmilk in the NICU freezer. She asked me if I wanted it. Since it is such a far drive and Steven and I are still sharing my gas-guzzler for a couple more months, I told her I would try to get there. I thought about how difficult of a time I am having pumping now that Carter eats close to 3 ounces every 3 hours and I just couldn't let it go to waste. After Carter's pedi appointment, I drove all the way to Cleveland and got my 6 ounces of milk. I was kinda expecting more...since she said "decent sized vials" but that is a little over 2 feedings, so I'm ok with it.

Carter's appointment went great. The doctor kept saying over and over how great he looks. She weighed him completely naked and he was 5lbs 15oz...so close to that 6lb mark! My baby is growing so fast! He doesn't have to go back for another month, but he gets 5 shots then. Mommy is not looking forward to that!

Steven decided to try a level 2 nipple on Carter this afternoon because he still tires out during feedings. Of course I was afraid...I thought it may be too fast of a flow and that he may choke. He did really well with it! He didn't choke and it made his feeding seem so much easier for him. He just sat there sucking away and only stopped when he had to burp. It was actually a relief to see. He always stops to take breaks because he poops out. Now, he can just relax and eat! Good move daddy! We're really getting the hang of this!

7 comments:

Tina said...

You guys are more then "getting the hang of it". You are AWESOME parent and are doing a FANTASTIC job.

Carter is so adorable I am completely falling in love with him (I am kinda partial to boys)

Lisa said...

GLAD TO HEAR THAT THINGS ARE GOING SO WELL FOR YOUR LITTLE GUY!!

Jamie said...

I am so glad to hear how great things are going for you all!!!

Making Babies said...

That is so great to hear. Glad all is well :)

sara said...

You are so right...it is more valuable than gold - I'm glad you were able to get some. You are doing such a great job for your little Carter - he's fortunate to have you as his mom! Hope you're having a great week sweetie!

Bekki B said...

Hey, came over from Tina's blog because you said you had a boxer! I love boxers so much! You have a cutie!

Bekki B said...

Umm, just read your Title subtitle and I relate with infertility...9 years of marriage and still no children! You are blessed!