Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Babywearing 101

Being disabled, I need to be able to hold my baby and have free hands to move myself around and do things. I am turning into quite the babywearing expert. I have tried a few different slings/wraps/carriers and thought I would do a little review for those of you who are interested.

BabyBjorn Air Infant Carrier: $79.99 (Babies R Us)

This was my "go-to" carrier when Carter was a baby. I loved it and wore him 24/7 with no problems. It worked really well for us. Since I was a new mom and inexperienced babywearer, it was the easiest of carriers to operate and I thought everything was great. Now that I am a bit more aware of things, I have read that the position that the baby is in while in the Bjorn can be bad for development of the hips and spine. I am not completely convinced one way or the other. In fact, I put Brooklyn in it a few days ago and she seemed to like it...I had to give her lots of head support with my hand, but I will definitely use it in the future.

Hotsling: $48 (Target)

I am very indifferent on this sling. Carter hated it. I think he sensed my hesitance with it. I just didn't feel like he was ever supported enough when using the cradle hold. I gave up pretty easily then, but I will try it out with Brooklyn. I am hoping it works well, since there is no fancy way of tying or wrapping it. It would certainly make things easier if I could just throw it on, pop her in, and go.

Moby Wrap: $39.99 (Babies R Us)

This wrap is amazing...I have been smitten since the first time I put it on. It is very intimidating, since it is basically just a piece of material that seems as long as a football field. It comes with an instruction booklet, but I suggest youtube.com videos to learn how to wrap and tie it. It isn't nearly as difficult as it seems. I had Brooklyn in it for the first time a couple days ago and she fell right to sleep. We went outside and it was a bit chilly, so I threw a blanket over my shoulder and was able to keep her warm and out of the wind. She was comfortable and so was I. This is by far my favorite way to wear my baby!

I hope this helped! If you know of any good carriers, please let me know!!
Photobucket

2 comments:

Lisa said...

I have the Moby Wrap and I loved it too. It was very comfortable. Way better than the slings.

E. said...

I'm a mom who is a quad also and really loved the Baby Trekker with my daughters! http://www.babytrekker.com/