Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Welcome Brooklyn Rose!!

Brooklyn Rose has arrived! She was born on Friday, September 10th at 1:45pm. She weighed 5 pounds, 5 ounces and was 18 inches long. Our family is complete…and so is my heart.

When I had Carter, everything happened so fast. My blood pressure spiked, causing me to have a seizure and I have no recollection of his birth at all. The doctors and nurses at MetroHealth Hospital went above and beyond to be sure that Brooklyn’s birth would be the most amazing memory of my life. I am so grateful for everything they did.

Our induction was scheduled for noon, so they had us come in at 9am. I was admitted to a High Risk room and the nurse I had specifically requested, Ann Marie, began preparations. The reason I requested her is because she is hilarious…and she sings. All of the time. You throw her into any situation and she will sing the soundtrack. That was the type of person I wanted to make me calm throughout the day. She started my IV first. Of course, my body began rebelling and she couldn’t get it in. After a second try, we had success. A little later, Anesthesia came in to begin my Arterial Line. It was needed to monitor my blood pressure during the delivery, to prevent another seizure. Unfortunately, they are very painful…and unfortunately, my body was still rebelling. After 3 separate pokes, they finally got the line in. Next, anesthesia started their own IV in case they needed access to a vein. That took 2 tries as well.


After I was all done, I was able to spend some time with my mom, Carter, and Steven before the OR was ready. My cousin Megan was also there. She works as an RN on the Labor and Delivery floor. I really wanted her to attend the birth, so I was glad to see her in her scrubs and Spongebob Squarepants OR hat. I really enjoyed the time with them before I went in. I held Carter for a bit, reminding myself that he wouldn’t be my only child for much longer. Those moments were worth more than gold to me.



At 12:10, they came in to bring me to the OR for my epidural. Steven had to stay behind and wait while Megan and the rest of the team took me. The anesthesiologist had me sit on the bed while he inserted the epidural catheter. The first attempt hit a blood vessel, so they had to try again. Megan sat in front of me helping me think happy thoughts (Channing Tatum, for example) as they successfully got the epidural in place. The nurses helped me lay down on the operating table and went to get Steven. They got the epidural medication started and everyone took their places for the External Version.

The doctor began trying to flip the baby, along with another doctor. They each took an end and pushed in the same direction. After about 5 minutes, Brooklyn was head-down. By the time the doctor reached over for the ultrasound machine, she had returned to her previous breech position. They asked if I wanted to try again and I told them to go ahead. They pushed for another 5 minutes or so and managed to get her head down again…but Brooklyn had the last say as she turned herself even further breech than before. The doctor asked me if I wanted to proceed with the C-section. Part of me felt like I failed because my body just wasn’t doing what it was supposed to do, but I went ahead and said “yes” because I knew it was best for the both of us. They prepped me and proceeded with the c-section. One of the nurses yelled "Candi! Where's your camera?!" She ran back to my room and returned to the OR with my camera, which are normally not allowed during c-sections. Not only did they allow it, but the nurses were the ones taking pictures! Steven was allowed to watch the entire surgery…since he is going to school for nursing, this was really something he wanted to witness. Also, the fact that he missed Carter’s birth was always something that bothered him. Nothing in the world could’ve kept him away from seeing his daughter being born. He stayed right beside me, reassuring me that my blood pressure was looking wonderful. He and Megan were telling me everything that was happening. It really made me feel so much better. Ann Marie was singing the entire time...even my doctor joined in! The whole OR was laughing and having a great time! About 10 minutes later, the anesthesiologist asked me if I’d like to see them pull Brooklyn out. I hesitated, but she assured me that I would not see any of my parts cut open. She lowered the drape, lifted my head, and I saw a little butt! The doctor pulled and out she came! He handed Steven the scissors and he got to cut the cord. Brooklyn immediately started crying…what a beautiful sound!! I couldn’t help but breaking out in tears. She was here. She was healthy. She was ours.

(Sorry for the graphic photos. I am just amazed that I have them.)

(You can see my head poking up over the drape.)






(My awesome support team, Steven and Megan.)

They took Brooklyn over to clean and weigh her and the doctor began my tubal ligation. I couldn’t take my eyes off of my beautiful daughter. The most amazing part was that she never left my sight. When Carter was born, he was rushed off to the NICU and I wasn’t able to see or hold him for hours. This time was so much different. As soon as I was sewn up and ready to go, the nurse handed Brooklyn to me and we were wheeled back to our room together.



Right away, we were able to introduce Brooklyn to her Nana and her big brother. She immediately ate and we were able to spend even more time as a family. It was the most amazing experience of my entire life and I cannot thank the hospital staff enough for going out of their way to make sure everything was perfect.

Both of us were released yesterday and are getting settled in at home. I am completely in love with my family of 4. I am truly blessed. Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers throughout this pregnancy. I couldn’t have done it without you.
Photobucket

13 comments:

Jamie said...

What an amazing story, Candi! Congratulations to your whole family! Enjoy these early days!!! xoxo

Sue Z said...

Congratulations!!! All are awesome pics but I love the 5th one down. That is an unbeatable pose! Enjoy your new addition!

Lora said...

Congratulations to all - wonderful news!

Lisa said...

Congratulations!!! I've been following your story for some time and just wanted to say congratulations on your beautiful family of 4. You have an amazing family, Carter and Brooklyn are just beautiful and you husband Steven is so sweet. Congrats again.

Trish said...

Candi, I am so excited that you were able to have a much more positive birth experience this time. Your family is beautiful!

Congratulations!

Stacemoe said...

Candi, I am so happy you had such a great birth experience. She is perfect. Your family is precious and you are blessed beyond measure. Thankful everything went well and you had such a wonderful hospital and support team willing to help you achieve exactly what you wanted. Such precious memories. I am sure Carter is a great big brother!!! Cherish these first few days as a family of FOUR!!! Can't wait for more pics.
Congratulations!!!!
Stacey

Hayley said...

CONGRATS...she's precious! And the pictures are priceless! Can't wait to see more!!!

Melissa said...

Congrats Candi & family! I am so glad you had a better experience this time...

Erin said...

Welcome Baby Brooklyn Rose! Such beautiful photos shared too. So thankful you had an amazing birth experience. Lots of love to the four of you! :)

Meg said...

Love the story...being awake for 36 hours during the delivery, things tend to get a little foggy! That was the most amazing day at work I must say! Thank you for letting me be a part of such a blessing and trusting in our staff at MetroHealth! I love you!!!

Tara said...

Congratulations! Welcome to the world, Brooklyn!

Anonymous said...

Great news! She looks wonderful.

Rebeccah said...

I've read your blog since before Carter was born ... Couldn't resist saying "Happy Birthday, Brooklyn!" Your birth story brought tears to my eyes : )