Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Cheer Up, Buttercup!

Psalms 37:4 Delight yourself also in the LORD: and he 
shall give you the desires of your heart.

Is it just me or has the internet been full of negativity lately? It seems like wherever I turn, be it the news, Facebook, Twitter, etc., I'm reading all about how terrible life is. Even though I enjoy reading the annual "I'm thankful for…" posts that people do each November, it almost seems like for every one I read, there's five or six negative statuses to go with it. I am starting to feel like I'm the odd man out for looking at every aspect of my life, good and bad, as a blessing. 

I'm sure people don't get it since my life is "so hard". I hear "I don't know how you do it." every single day. Don't get me wrong. I struggle with simple things multiple times every day…but I still do them. At the end of every day, I lean out of the side of my wheelchair picking up toys off the playroom floor and tossing them into the nearest toy box. Steven always says "You're going to hurt yourself. Why don't you have them pick up their own toys?" Well, for one, it takes more energy to get them to pick up then to do it myself…they're 3 and 5. They have much more important things to do! Secondly, I do it because I can. It may seem pretty strange to hear that, but there was a time when I couldn't even lift my own baby up to my shoulder to burp when I was feeding him. I literally needed help lifting him up. 5 years later, I am completely self sufficient and taking care of 2 other human beings for a good chunk of the day on my own! I am thankful for the abilities I have gained and that I am able to do them at all. God has given me so much strength…why would I not be positive about life even if things are difficult at times? I'm here, I'm breathing, I have a beautiful family, I have a roof over my head, food in my belly, and I am doing things I never thought I could.

Everybody just needs to take a look at their lives and be thankful for what they do have…and stop worrying about what they don't. No matter how bad it gets, it could always be worse.

Photobucket

No comments: