Sunday, June 28, 2009

Smash!

I survived a parenting nightmare on Friday afternoon. I had Carter and my friend in the Escalade. We were leaving the doctor's office and were stopped at a stop light. All of a sudden, I glanced in my mirror and SMASH! We were rear-ended. We were hit by the AT&T truck. He was going about 25 mph and never hit his brakes. I was pushed into the car in front of me, but the guy just drove away. Carter immediately began screaming...so of course I spazzed out. He was OK...just very scared. The AT&T guy got out of his truck, asked if we were all OK and apologized. He called the cops and we had to give statements and stuff. My truck seems to be alright. There is just a small scratch in the rear bumper. His front bumper was in pretty bad shape. I am going on Tuesday to the Progressive Claim Center for an estimate and to have the frame checked for damage. I am going to take Carter to the doctor, just to be sure...since he can't tell me if anything is wrong. But other than that, thank God we are OK.

I was told that it is illegal to use a car seat once it has been in an accident. AT&T is independently insured, so they will have to give us money to buy a new one. Kinda handy since Carter is ready to be moved to a convertible car seat. He is getting too tall for his carrier. So, any car seat suggestions are appreciated.

Still no word on being pregnant. Steven is going back out later for tests because I have none. I will update as soon as I can.

UPDATE: Maybe next month.

10 comments:

Stacemoe said...

I am so glad you, Carter and your friend are okay!!!! That is so scary. I was rear ended a couple years ago...it is such a horrible feeling seeing what is about to happen in the rear view mirror and just bracing for it.
Hope you have a nice week....keeping my fingers crossed for next month! :)

Carrie said...

We love our Sunshine Radian carseat, it takes a lot of room rearfacing, but it is a narrow carseat and highly rated for safety. You also can't go wrong with a Britax marathon. Evenflo Triumph Advance is also good but it won't last you as long as the other two. It also is a bit wide.

HereWeGoAJen said...

That had to have been scary! I'm glad everyone is okay.

sara said...

So glad you are all okay! I hope that next month is a better one and sending lots of good thoughts your way. How scary!

Tara said...

I worry about this sort of thing all the time. I'm so glad to hear that Carter and you and your friend are all ok. That would be so scary.

On another note - sorry to hear that this month wasn't the magical one.

Patty said...

Long time lurker here - sorry about the accident!!! If Carter was able to go forward-facing, I'd suggest the Graco Nautilus, because it would be the last carseat you would need. But, since he's not, I think any of the Britax line are probably best, and will last a long time.

Mike and Dee said...

I'm amazed and thrilled about "maybe next month". DH says no more but I think I do in another couple years. Age is against us but I am very happy with our three. Good luck!

Trish said...

What a scary thing to happen. I would imagine it is even scarier for you, having been in a terrible accident. I'm glad that you, Carter, and your friend are all ok!

Not in the Water said...

Sorry about the accident....

BRITAX is the way to go!! Safest Car Seat out there!!

Morrisa said...

OMG! So glad you are okay. So sorry about the BFN, they stink!