Monday, February 8, 2010

Introducing Baby #2!!

Steven and I had our 1st OB appointment today. Everything went wonderfully. I was taken aback by how "normal" I was treated. Not that women who do fertility treatments aren't "normal", but at times you almost feel "special". You get multiple betas to ensure that your HCG levels are continuing to rise, ultrasounds whenever you want, and a special doctor that is there before, during, and after you conceive. When you get pregnant without medical intervention, you are just another mom-to-be. No red carpet, no paparazzi, no big deal. Hmm.

Anyway, I am not completely normal. According to my last missed period, I should be 7 weeks and 6 days pregnant. Well, I am only 6 weeks along. Baby looked great...nice strong heartbeat. I cannot even explain how relieved I was when I saw that little flicker on the screen. It was such a beautiful moment. I had my doctor, who has been through so much with me...and I also had my boys. As soon as Steven pointed to the baby's heartbeat on the big TV screen, Carter started giggling and goes "What's that?" He kept asking over and over. We were all just laughing. He is going to be such an amazing big brother.

We talked to the doctor and he put my on low-dose asprin, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, more folic acid, and switched me from Ultram to Percoset for spasms and pain. We know that I can get by with less than 10mg of Percoset per day and it keeps everything under control. I did it with Carter and he was born completely unaffected by it. To be honest, I could handle the pain without taking anything, but the spasms pose a huge threat because they have been known to be strong enough to throw me around. If I were to fall out of my chair, myself and the baby are in danger...so I will do exactly what I did with my last pregnancy as far as meds go. The doctor also told us that he will be putting me on progesterone injections starting at 16 weeks to prevent preterm labor. I will go off of it at about 36 weeks, then we will discuss inducing me. We want to be in full control of this delivery so I do not have the same problems as I did with Carter. He is confident that I will do wonderfully with another vaginal delivery, but an epidural is 100% necessary in order to be sure that I do not end up with Autonomic Dysreflexia, causing another seizure, or worse. We are feeling very optimistic about this pregnancy and I feel great! I couldn't be more excited to add another precious life to my family.

Here are the ultrasound pictures. They aren't much to look at, but we are in love already!

Photobucket

4 comments:

Stacemoe said...

Oh Candi, these pics ARE something to look at!!!! They are your precious baby!!! I am just so happy for ya'll! Praying for a smooth pregnancy and healthy baby! Will ya'll find out or be surprised?

Erin said...

I love it. I am glad you got to hear the heartbeat and everything is going well so far. You are in my thoughts!!!

Tina said...

What a Beautiful little BEAN! I am so happy for you both and of course Big Brother Carter!

Lauren said...

Aww. What an adorable little blob! I am so happy for you guys! Carter is going to make a great big brother!