Saturday, June 30, 2012

A day in the life...3 years later.

I have come a long way since Carter was a baby. In January of 2009, I blogged this post...about a day in my life as a disabled mother. I was thinking about the things I refused to even try back then and the lack of credit I gave myself by not even attempting. All I can do is throw my head back and laugh at how I could never get away with that now.

So, here is my new and revised "A day in the life"...

I still get up when Steven leaves for work at 6 a.m. because I like to use my morning time wisely. Instead of him helping me to the couch, I go directly to my wheelchair. Sometimes I watch TV or read while drinking my mandatory minimum of 1 cup of coffee. I no longer have a nurse, so there's nobody to help me in the morning. I try to be quiet so the kids can sleep. Carter usually strolls out around 7 o' clock and we cuddle for awhile before I get his breakfast. Brookie follows him around 7:30ish. I get her from her crib, take off her nighttime diaper, let her pee, then change her out of her jammies and get her underwear/day clothes on. While she is eating breakfast, I usually change Carter's clothes, unless he says he wants to stay in pajamas. We watch TV or play until I start lunch at about 11:30. After lunch, Brookie goes potty and I put her in a Pull-up for nap time. She goes in first, I tuck her in, then I bring Carter to his room and get him settled for nap.

Nap time is when I really get to work. As soon as I'm sure they're asleep, I throw in laundry, pick up toys, load the dishwasher, and do any other housework that needs to be done. In the rare event that I have time left before they wake up, I try catching up on DVRed shows or I get on Facebook and nose around in everyone else's business. 50% of the time, the kids wake up before 2:45, which is when Steven gets home. 

When he walks in, he takes a shower, gets dressed, and I sometimes use that time to shower myself before we run any errands that we need to get done...since I can't get out of the house by myself without help. If our agenda is clear, we go outside and hang out until dinner. Steven is an amazing cook, so he is in charge of that. After dinner, he takes the kids and gets them in the tub while I clear the table/counters/load the dishwasher. I hurry up and get their pajamas together so he has them ready after their bath. When they are done, they play for awhile and wind down before we take them in to brush their teeth...then they go to bed.

Once the kids are in bed, I finish any cleaning or laundry that is still in progress. I usually sit in the living room and watch TV or read before heading to bed. Then its off to sleep...and it starts all over in the morning. 

I can't believe I ever got by doing less than I do now. How is this place even still standing? I look back and can't help but have a sense of pride at how far I have come and all of the new things I have had to throw myself into being a wife and mother of 2. Its never easy...but they are my motivation. There are still some things I can't do and wish I could, but that list is a lot shorter than it was 3 years ago...and my goal is to one day eliminate it completely. Until then, I will continue to do as best as I can with what I have been given. I have a lot to be thankful for.
Photobucket

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Candi you seriously are the most AMAZING, BEAUTIFUL & STRONGEST woman I know. I am so glad that I got to be a part of your life & watch you grow. You give me reason everyday to go on because of your will to NEVER give up. Your words are so encouraging. I absolutely love you to death & my life wouldn't be the same without you in it!!! NEVER GIVE UP!! <3 Jenn

Anonymous said...

Candi- you are truly a beautiful woman and an amazing mother. I hope that one day I am half the mother you are. Your strength, perseverance, energy, and beauty are an inspiration to me and you truly are my hero. I love u more than words can say. Stephen, carter, and Brookie are lucky to have you. I strive to be more like you. Keep keeping on sister. All my love, Jen Palian.